Monday, July 4, 2011

New pieces and parts....

I have replaced several parts on the rig while in my blogging hiatus and will summarize those for your reading pleasure.

As I approach my first major race (test) this year, I have decided to get down to my "race weight" of 162.  I have wieghed significantly more than this in my life but had leveled off at 173.  I can pretty much eat what I want (within reason) and exercise and maintain this weight.  So, I figure if I am going to go down to race weight, I might need to focus some attention on the weight of my bike :).

I am not a weight weeny that is going to go for the lighting possible setup but a few pounds here and there could make a big difference.

The first things I changed were my handlebars and seatpost.  I went with bontrager race light carbon bars and race light carbon seatpost (xxx).  I also changed out the stem to make my position on the bike more aggressive.  While at the bike shop for this change, Andy changed my grips and yelled at me for leaving the old ones on for so long.  I guess he doesnt like the rubber to come off in his hands when he grabs the grips like I do....Believe it or not, this reduced the wieght by over a pound (thats a lot).

I have also replaced my wheelset with Stans notubes Crest wheels with hutchison python tubeless tires.  This reduced the weight by almost 2 pounds!

The bike comes in at 24 pounds now and that is good enough for me.... The only thing to upgrade on this rig in the future is the brakes, I have mechanical disk brakes and NEED hydraulic disk brakes at some point....But for now, when I squeeze, it stops.  So, the money flow has to stop before my wife kills me!




Go Big or Stay Home

No comments:

Post a Comment